Sunday 3 February 2008

Abandoned Puppies in Italy

Two years ago I moved to Italy from the UK with my dogs, but what I wasn't prepared for was the number of abandoned dogs there are here, especially puppies.It was unusual for me to see dogs wondering the streets, but puppies also, I was horrified.

Abandoned puppies in Italy is a huge problem. It wasn't very long before I found my first litter playing by the roadside. They lived in an old shed a few meters away, but it took me about 2 weeks to rescue them, because of the dangerous location.

I still have all four of them and they are now over a year old and absolutely wonderful characters. You can meet them at my website detailed at the end of this posting.

However, the situation here with abandoned puppies is a problem that needs urgent attention.

For the first year or so here in Italy, before I got to know anybody, I thought I was the only person in the country that cared for these poor abandoned dogs and of course these cute puppies.

Then I met this group of people who work for the Italian National Canine Defence League, in the local town of Teramo and I was taken back by their commitment, hard work and perciverance in the face overwhealming odds.

These people have now become my very good friends and I am in awe of the work that they do with little or no recources. I will be doing a special feature about these people in my next posting.

For now I want to bring attention to the plight of these poor little puppies who need our most urgent assistance. All of the puppies shown in these photos
are homeless right now and some are living in very dangerous conditions. Each puppy is desparate for your help.
  • Can you help a puppy in any way?
  • Can you give any of these puppies a permanent loving home?
  • Or maybe you can help in some other way.
Before you go to look for puppies for sale, remember these puppies are free. They are very cute puppies and they are desparate for a permanent and loving home.


The puppies on the right are living in a forrest and are in imminent danger from wildlife, the elements and who knows what else.




If you would like to help by giving one of these puppies a safe home for life, or you can provide a foster home until a permanent home is found. In any way you can, please contact me at alan@amoremiaafghanhounds.com and either myself or someone from the local Canine Defence League will get in touch.


Finally if you would like to see the puppies and dogs I personally rescued visit them at Amoremia Afghan Hounds and click on the rescue corner.

Thank you

Alan

2 comments:

markemmaandkacie said...

great blog very informative, very touching and also very sad, Emma would love to help and adopt a puppy but i dont think its practical at the moment with a new baby and a stressed pussy cat. should this change soon and emma gets her way we will be in touch. Mark,Emma & Kacie

SJ said...

That's heartbreaking :( I wish I could help. I want to adopt for our next dog at home, here in the states. When I went to Russia I was shocked by all the dogs wandering around in January, it was so incredibly sad to me. Definitely searching for more ways to help.